Muskoka To-DAILY

Landlord charged after smoke alarms disconnected, batteries removed in overnight house fire Friday in Huntsville

HUNTSVILLE – A Huntsville landlord will be charged with failing to maintain working smoking alarms in both the lower and upper unit and failure to provide a  fire rated separation between dwelling units after a fire tore through a basement apartment in the middle of the night Friday sending one person to hospital.

Fire Crews found that all smoke alarms in the building were disconnected and the backup batteries were dead.

Fire Crews found that all smoke alarms in the building were disconnected and the backup batteries were dead.

Huntsville fire crews were called to a Muskoka Rd 3 north residence shortly after 3 a.m. this morning for a reported house fire.

When crews arrived they found the occupants outside of the building, with a fire burning in a bedroom located in  the basement apartment.

The fire was quickly bought under control and one occupant was transported to Huntsville hospital for smoke inhalation.

Fire Crews found that all smoke alarms in the building were disconnected and the backup batteries were dead.

Charges are now pending against the landlord for failing to maintain working smoking alarms in both the lower and upper unit and failure to provide a  fire rated separation between dwelling units.

Huntsville Fire Chief Stephen Hernen said: “Only a working smoke alarm will protect you in the event of a fire and when the fire department  finds missing smoke alarms or alarms that have been disconnected charges will be laid.”

Short URL: http://www.muskokatodaily.com/?p=17876

Posted by on Feb 7 2014. Filed under Headlines, OPP. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

Your Shopping Cart

Your cart is empty

 

Log in | Designed by Muskoka Graphics
Posts Protect Plugin by http://blog.muffs.ru