Muskoka To-DAILY

Carbon monoxide detectors soon mandatory, Muskoka firefighters get help promoting them

HUNTSVILLE This morning, Norm Miller, MPP for Parry Sound – Muskoka, Oxford MPP Ernie Hardeman, and Huntsville Mayor Claude Doughty joined Doug DeRabbie from the Insurance Bureau of Canada to put additional carbon monoxide detectors in the homes of local residents and to raise awareness that they will soon be required in all homes.

“You can’t see, smell or taste carbon monoxide; the only way to know if this deadly gas is in your home is by having a detector,” said Miller, in a news release.

“I want to thank the Insurance Bureau of Canada for making this donation to help protect people living in Parry Sound – Muskoka.”

IBC contributed the 108 Carbon Monoxide detectors to the District of Muskoka Fire Departments for local distribution. As part of their campaign to raise awareness about the need for carbon monoxide detectors in all homes with a fuel burning appliance or attached garage, the IBC has to date donated over 1000 detectors to fire departments across Ontario.

Over the last 15 years, 250 Ontarians have died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning, including the recent tragic deaths in Parry Sound – Muskoka.

Despite the serious threat of carbon monoxide poisoning, many Canadians do not have CO detectors in their home,” says Ralph Palumbo, Vice-President Ontario, IBC. “We thank MPP Ernie Hardeman for his leadership and perseverance to make CO detectors mandatory in all homes in Ontario. Imposing the installation of CO detectors is a wise investment that will help keep families safe at a minimal cost.”

On December 12, 2013 Hardeman’s private members’ bill to require carbon monoxide detectors in all homes received Royal Assent, the final step in becoming law. The bill was named the Hawkins Gignac Act in memory of a Woodstock family that was killed by carbon monoxide poisoning due to a blocked vent on their fireplace.

“Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of accidental deaths in North America, but many of these tragedies can be prevented by installing a CO detector,” said Hardeman. “It is particularly important in the winter months to ensure your family is protected by making sure vents aren’t blocked and that you have a functioning carbon monoxide detector.”

Short URL: http://www.muskokatodaily.com/?p=18146

Posted by on Mar 12 2014. Filed under Headlines. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

Your Shopping Cart

Your cart is empty

 

Log in | Designed by Muskoka Graphics
Posts Protect Plugin by http://blog.muffs.ru