Muskoka To-DAILY

Huntsville firefighters out twice early Friday at height of frigid temperatures

HUNTSVILLE — Firefighters here were out twice early Friday on one of the coldest days of this winter.
HVL Bays fire logoThe Huntsville/Lake of Bays Fire Department first responded to a reported garage fire on Oudaze Lake Rd. at approximately 3:20 a.m.
The homeowner was alerted to the fire after they heard the sound of explosions.
When crews arrived, the 25 x 25 garage was fully involved.
Crews battled -30 degree temperatures in order to douse the blaze.
Damage is estimated at $50,000 and the cause and circumstances are currently under investigation.
Then about 7 am, crews were back out for a chimney fire on South Waseosa Lake Rd.
That blaze was contained to the chimney and the appliance was taken out of service till repairs are made.
Fire prevention officer Mike Vadlja reminds everyone that “with the current cold temperatures we are experiencing in Muskoka, residents are advised to keep fire safety in mind while trying to stay warm.”
fire space heater reminderHe recommends:
• Ashes from a fireplace or woodstove must be put in a closed metal container away from a building and allowed to cooled down.
• Check your chimney – Keeping the chimney clean will help avoid problems during these extreme cold temperatures.
• Space heaters should be plugged directly into a properly rated electrical outlet. Avoid using an extension cord.
• Give space heaters space – Keep them at least 1 metre (3 feet) from anything that can burn.
• Ensure carbon monoxide alarms and smoke alarms are tested and working.

Short URL:

Posted by on Jan 5 2018. Filed under Headlines, OPP. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

Your Shopping Cart

Your cart is empty
Log in | Designed by Muskoka Graphics